Turnip and Cumin Wedges – Masala Shalgam
Shalgam is called Turnip in English.
Turnips belong to the cabbage family. Like other members of the cabbage family they are high in nutrients, low in calories and high in fibre, so they keep you feeling full. Early or young turnips are round and purple. They have a peppery flavor with a hint of sweetness.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOKING TIME: 35 MINUTES
600g turnips, washed, trimmed and cut into wedges
½ tsp sea salt
2 tsp olive oil
½ tspchilli flakes
½ tsp cumin seeds, crushed coarsely
Generous pinch of coarsely ground black pepper
1 tsp lemon juice
1. preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
2. put the turnips in a saucepan, add water to cover and bringTo the boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes, then drain.
3. in a bowl, mix the salt, chilli flakes, cumin seeds, black Pepper, lemon juice and olive oil. Add the turnips and coatThem with the mixture.
4. Spread the turnip wedges on a baking tray and bake for about 20-25 minutes until tender, turning them over once to Ensurethey are evenly browned.
5. Serve with Onion and Tomato Chutney Chutney .